First Lady Grace Mugabe failed to appear in South Africa court after accused over assault











Zimbabwean First Lady, Grace Mugabe who was accused of allegedly hitting a woman on the head, has failed to appear in a South African court despite the officials saying that she would do.

According to report, a 20-year-old South African woman, Gabriella Engels accused Mrs Mugabe of hitting her with an extension cord during a confrontation at a hotel after finding her with her two sons in a hotel room in Sandton, a plush suburb north of Johannesburg.

A South African police said in the late afternoon, the 52-year-old first lady was nowhere to be found.

Engels released the above photo of a face injury online, following the attack which is said to have happened on Sunday evening. Mrs Mugabe has not commented.


Police Minister Fikile Mbalula earlier said Mrs Mugabe had handed herself over to police but was not under arrest, and would on Tuesday afternoon appear in court, which she failed to.

Engels, mother of the two sons Robert and Chatunga,  in a phone interview said that she and a friend had been visiting the sons at the Capital 20 West Hotel.

She continued by saying, a bodyguard asked her and her friend to wait in a separate room, after which the assault occurred.

"When Grace entered I had no idea who she was," Engels told news men.

"She walked in with an extension cord and just started beating me with it. She flipped and just kept beating me with the plug.

Over and over. I had no idea what was going on. I was surprised… I needed to crawl out of the room before I could run away.

"Her ten bodyguards just stood there watching, no-one did anything, no-one tried to help me."

"There was blood everywhere, over my arms, in my hair, everywhere," she said.

The negotiations over the suspect handing herself over not concluded and our investigations is still ongoing," police spokesman, Vishnu Naidoo told news agency.


Source: BBC

loading...